Today is a wonderful day, because we are happy to announce that a brand new version of our favorite social network analysis and visualization software application has been released. SocNetV version 2.1, released on Sep 28, has the quite eloquent codename "fixer" and it is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux from the Downloads page.
What the new version brings to the users? Not so many new features as v2.0 did, but it incorporates lots of bug fixes. More specifically:
- Faster & accurate network analysis computation
- The algorithms for social network analysis have been improved, and most of them are computed all together when one metric is calculated. The metric results are saved and re-used through the session. Metrics are recomputed only when new nodes or new edges are added or when edge weights are changed.
- Also network analysis metrics, such as PageRank Prestige (PRP) and Average Graph Distance (AGD) have been fixed to produce correct results.
- New d-regular random network generator
- The algorithm of the d-regular network generator has been rewritten, and now produces both directed and undirected d-regular random networks without errors.
- Improved UCINET format support
- Fullmatrix format is now supported again. SocNetV already supports edgelist format.
- Better network visualization
- Errors in node and edge stacking on the canvas, as well as huge line widths of edges with large weights have been corrected.
- Bugs Fixed:
#1624561 Network files with both arcs and edges are loaded as solely undirected nets
#1622889 d-regular generator does not produce random nets
#1623812 After a new network file loaded, the app behaves as the network has changed
#1624583 UCINET dl file crashes the app
#1624750 Random new nodes can be drawn out of canvas
#1625831 Removing an edge in undirected Graphs does not update the node outDegree
#1627390 Wrong PageRank Prestige results In undirected nets
#1627721 Wrong average graph distance metric in disconnected networks
#1628382 Edges with very large weights are drawn with huge line widths
#1627213 Crashes when double clicking on a target node, if the source node is deleted
#1628170 edge labeling with html special chars breaks graphml files
#1622891 Highlighted edges should have larger z-index
#1624352 Change edge color dialog does not show the current edge color
#1624360 Default edge color and node shape wrong in Edit menu dialogs
#1628395 Wrong z-value of nodes and edges - nodes and edges are cluttered.
Download and as always: have fun with your social network analysis projects!